Rock 2 Water
Day 1 From Alice Springs, we journey across the rugged Outback to Uluru (Ayers Rock). Nothing will prepare you for the sight of Uluru – it’s awesome! We learn about the region’s indigenous history at the Uluru Kata Tjuta Aboriginal Cultural Centre before taking an easy walk around the base of Uluru and learn more about Aboriginal interpretations from your Culturally Accredited Groovy Guide. There’s no better way to finish the day than watching the amazing sunset over Uluru, before snuggling inside your swag under the star-studded desert sky.
Day 2 After an early breakfast, we’ll head to Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) for a sunrise and visit the majestic Valley of the Winds, with its ancient rock formations and extraordinary views. The hikes here can be challenging at times with steep sections and duration of about 3 ½ hours. We relax back at our campground, take a dip in the swimming pool or join one of our adrenalin Plus options such as Skydiving over Uluru!
Day 3 Today we set out for Watarrka National Park (Kings Canyon), you’ll need to stop to admire and photograph the massive sandstone walls, vast canyon floor and breath-taking gorges. On the Canyon Rim Walk (3-4 hours) experience the beautiful Garden of Eden and learn more about local Aboriginal culture.
Day 4 Along the way to Coober Pedy – the Opal Capital of the World – you’ll notice the incredible change of scenery. We’ll get the chance to visit the Opal Mine and Museum where we’ll learn the history of the town. The highlight for some is visiting Josephine’s Kangaroo Orphanage, where you can meet the rescued kangaroos and baby joeys and admire (or buy) Aboriginal art and didgeridoos. Soon after you’ll get the chance to taste one of the most amazing pizzas in the outback before spending the night in a bunkhouse sleeping the way the locals do – underground!
Day 5 After breakfast, we journey south into the foothills of the magnificent Flinders Ranges. On the way, we stop at Pimba and get a chance to view the salt lakes. We’ll stop en route for lunch before driving to Wilmington where we’ll sleep among the red gum trees.
Day 6 We enjoy a morning walk through the stunning Alligator Gorge, which is sometimes bursting with wild flowers and amazing wildlife: you might get the chance to spot kangaroos or wallabies. We enjoy our last lunch together, before heading to Adelaide.
The above itinerary is based on the season from April through to October when the weather is mild. If you are travelling in our summer months from November through to March we have a revised itinerary due to our heat management strategy. Groovy Grape Tours only spends one night at Yulara, second night is at Kings Creek Station, third night is at Kulgera, Erldunda or Bush Camp. Remainder of itinerary remains the same from here. No activities will be missed. See more here at Revised Rock 2 Water Summer Itinerary
- The Ayers Rock Resort has a swimming pool, wi-fi, shopping centre, bank and laundry facilities.
- We may adapt our hikes in Watarrka (King’s Canyon) if it’s too hot.
- Some hikes involve steep climbs and requires a reasonable level of fitness.
Terms and Conditions
- Groovy Grape Tours (GGT) may amend prices and change vehicles from time to time. GGT reserves the right to alter the route or itinerary due to road, weather or group conditions.
- GGT expects you to have reasonable fitness and to act responsibly for your own safety.
- GGT accepts payment by Mastercard, Visa or cash.
- GGT recommend that all passengers have personal travel insurance to cover loss or damage to property, illness, injury or not being able to travel on the confirmed date of departure.
- GGT accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage to personal belongings or luggage or for any injury or loss of any type whilst on our tours.
- Passengers should re-confirm their tour booking at least 24 hours prior to departure.
- Cancellation policy: GGT charges 25% 8 – 30 days, 50% 24 hours – 7 days and 100% within 24 hours of tour departure.
- Amendments: Inside 3 days passengers wanting to change tour dates will be charged a booking amendment fee of $44.