Kangaroo Island Wildlife Adventure
From our comfortable minibus you’ll appreciate the fantastic coastal views as we head towards Kangaroo Island along the Fleurieu Peninsula. After driving for 90 minutes, we hop aboard the massive ferry for the 45 minute cruise to the picturesque beachside village of Penneshaw, where we stock up on supplies.
Our first stop is Prospect Hill, where a moderately easy climb offers magnificent 360-degree views of Australia’s third-largest island.
The highlight for many is the guided tour along the pure-white beach of Seal Bay, where you can walk within metres of countless Australian Sea Lions snoozing on the sand or frolicking in the surf. Or maybe your favourite part will be the Flinders Chase National Park in the far west of the island, which hosts two extraordinary geological features: the Remarkable Rocks and the Admirals Arch, which is also home to a colony of New Zealand Fur Seals.
Our dormitory style accommodation is located within a farm on the edge of the national park. After a huge Aussie barbeque dinner, we sit around the campfire swapping stories and maybe, spotting wildlife, such as kangaroos and possums.
After breakfast our wildlife adventure continues! In the cooler morning weather, we can hike one of the many walking trails on the island where you can watch kangaroos hopping about the bush, koalas nesting in their favourite gum trees and possibly, spot a shy echidna shuffling past. In the summer months we spend some time swimming and snorkelling in search of the elusive leafy sea dragon which resides off the coast. You can laze about Vivonne Bay, Hanson Bay, Stokes Bay or one of the other superb beach spots with their pristine sand and clear water, or alternatively you can follow the nearby trail along the beach and river to search for more wildlife.
The action packed afternoon starts with sand-boarding down the Little Sahara dunes. We leisurely paddle with kayaks along the Harriet River, but if you do crave something more adventurous, quad-biking along rocky paths through dense scrub is an optional extra.
From Penneshaw, we reluctantly take the ferry to Cape Jervis for the short drive back to Adelaide to arrive at around 8:30pm.
AMENDEMENT: Prospect Hill is closed until further notice for rehabilitation of the steps . Instead we will go to Pennington Bay, one of the most scenic beaches on Kangaroo Island! And who knows if you are lucky you may spot some Dolphins!
- Luggage is limited to one small bag per person
- Kayaking, swimming and snorkelling in summer only - *weather permitting
- Our itineraries are included as a guide only, as we encourage our guides to be flexible. Road, weather and group conditions always change, so by being flexible our tours are varied and individual.
- All linen is provided at the overnight accommodation.
- You can buy food and drinks on the ferry for breakfast on day 1 and for dinner on day 2
- You can also buy snacks and drinks (including alcohol) at Penneshaw on day 1
Terms and Conditions
- Groovy Grape Tours (GGT) may amend prices and change vehicles from time to time. GGT reserves the right to alter the route or itinerary due to road, weather or group conditions.
- GGT expects you to have reasonable fitness and to act responsibly for your own safety.
- GGT accepts payment by Mastercard, Visa or cash.
- GGT recommend that all passengers have personal travel insurance to cover loss or damage to property, illness, injury or not being able to travel on the confirmed date of departure.
- GGT accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage to personal belongings or luggage or for any injury or loss of any type whilst on our tours.
- Passengers should re-confirm their tour booking at least 24 hours prior to departure.
- Cancellation policy: GGT charges 25% 8 – 30 days, 50% 24 hours – 7 days and 100% within 24 hours of tour departure.
- Amendments: Inside 3 days passengers wanting to change tour dates will be charged a booking amendment fee of $33.